A list of (web) user interface design principles. They are all on a conceptual level, so good for high-level/big-picture work.
- Clarity is job #1
- Interfaces exist to enable interaction
- Conserve attention at all costs
- Smart organization reduces cognitive load
- Highlight, don’t determine, with color
- Existing problems are most valuable
A commenter on Hacker News added these even more general rules:
- Respect your users
- Respect their time
- Respect that they are different from you
If you find yourself thinking “now I have to change it so stupid people can use it” then you will never make a UI worth a damn.