We build and support web applications for our clients. We are specialized in the Ruby language and the Ruby on Rails web application framework. Most of our experience is in the areas of online collaboration, learning, publishing and workflow automation.
I started professional Ruby on Rails development in 2005 and founded my ClearCove Rails consultancy in 2006. Since then I have practiced Ruby on Rails development for more than 10,000 hours. They say that’s how long it takes to truly become an expert.
Being a 1-person company doesn’t mean I do all the work myself. I prefer to operate like movie production teams who band together for specific projects: Depending on a project’s nature and requirements, I team up with partners in areas such as design, strategy, copy writing, software development, project management, etc.
Jo Hund, founder of ClearCove Software, Inc.
We are privileged to work with fantastic clients, primarily in the area of online collaboration, training, publishing, and workflow automation. Some of our clients include the International Baccalaureate, the Government of British Columbia, and many more. We have developed the following types of applications for our clients:
- Publishing automation – document management, conversion, and validation.
- Online training – courseware authoring, registration and training facilitation.
- Conference management – registration, reporting, and workflow automation.
- Various custom ecommerce applications (music, digital documents, video subscriptions, etc.)
- Online Questionbank – allows publishing staff to author questions, and teachers to find, edit and compile questions into student practice tests.
- Online Taskbank – allows publishing staff to author student tasks, and teachers to find, edit and compile tasks into student activity sheets.
- Government financial reporting – legacy data import, ongoing data import, report generation.
- Online cooking school – registration, content delivery, data management.
- Collaboration tools for non-profit organizations.
We have implemented the following features in several dozen Ruby on Rails production applications:
- A/B testing
- APIs: Consume and provide JSON and XML
- Authentication: in-app, LDAP/ActiveDirectory, OAuth, CAS
- Content Management: WYSIWYG, Video
- Data visualization: d3.js, Raphael.js
- DOCX word document import and export
- Ecommerce: Payment processing, workflow integration
- Email sending and receiving
- Indexed search: Elasticsearch, Lucene, Solr
- Integrations with a wide range of 3rd party services
- Data import from MS Access, Excel, CSV
- Machine learning
- Mobile apps: Phonegap/Cordova, responsive web design
- Natural language processing
- Parsing (markdown, lucene queries, etc.)
- Payment processing
- PDF generation
- Performance tuning
- Regular expressions
- RSS and ATOM feed generation and consumption
- Security: SSL, policies, role based access control, encryption, firewalls
- Search engine optimization
- Social media integration: Read from and post to Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn
- Spreadsheet generation and import
- Timezone management
- Server monitoring
- User management: self registration, password reset, roles and permissions
- Video playback
- Web scraping and information extraction
- Workflow management and automation
- XLSX spreadsheet file import and export
- Location: Comox, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
- Languages: English and German
- Timezone: Pacific Time
- Founded: 2006
We offer the following services:
- Application development
- Project management
- Hosting management
- Technical support
- Code reviews
Below is a list of our current technology preferences for production systems:
- Application software: Object oriented Ruby, Ruby on Rails
- Application server: Puma, Unicorn, Thin, Torquebox
- Database: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis, Memcached, Elasticsearch, Lucene, Solr, Neo4J
- Hosting: Amazon Web services, Virtual private servers, Heroku
- Server operating system: Linux